market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Piece Work Picking

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Piece Work Picking
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:18:24 -0400

I'd look at how much you expect an average picker to pick in an hour and set the rate based on their pick rate. I think you need to ensure that your piece rate will at least provide minimum wage. For my berry pickers, I've set the rate so that anyone who is halfway trying will get $8-$10 and hour and people who are hustling can get >$15/hour.
Andy

Allan Balliett wrote:
<This is a resend of an erroneously titles post.>

anyone have a clue how to determine piece work rates on things like
peas and beans?

Having access to what the canning companies pay would be a start, I
guess. (They used to pay us 2cents a pound and people were making a
living off from that...but that's another story...)

This is picking for a CSA so I dont readily think of
dollar-value-of-the-crop when trying to determind what's fair to all
parties.

Your ideas and info appreciated.

Thanks

-Allan in WV