market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Research

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Research
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:40:01 -0400

On Jun 11, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Allan Balliett wrote:

But organic mulches that prevent soil splashing are really helpful.
You may still get it, but it probably won't be as intense as if you
hadn't used the mulch.

So is plastic (with out soil on it) not good? -Allan in WV

Plastic mulch should also prevent the soil splashing.

Up here plastic may be better for tomatoes, as our soil much of the season runs cooler than they like, and plastic can help warm the soil, while organic mulches are more likely to cool it. My guess is that this is less of an issue in WV, unless maybe you're trying to get an extra early crop.