market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing: broccoli & cabbage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: farmersue AT myfairpoint.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing: broccoli & cabbage
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:21:08 -0400

Around here, cabbage seems to be something folks expect you to have, but don't expect to pay enough for to make it worth growing. It takes a lot of room, compared say to lettuce, and whereas I can pick a square foot of lettuce for 6-7 weeks early on, I get one head of cabbage from the same space. I get maybe 5-6 gallons of lettuce @ $4.50 a gallon bag vs. maybe 2 bucks for the head of cabbage.
Bill Huhman
central Ohio