market-farming - [Market-farming] Tomato Research

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tomato Research
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:40:52 -0500

I am curious about a couple of things.

What is the best plant spacing for maximum production in pounds of tomatoes? I have been tending toward close spacing because of my limited urban space but if fewer plants will give me the same yield then i would like to know that.

I think it was Bill that said that tomato blight was caused by the plants remaining wet for long periods of time. There is also the idea that rain or watering can splash soil up on the plants and that can cause disease. When i keep the ground covered with straw my plants seem to last longer. What is the research/experience on these two ideas?

Thanks

Marty in Kansas City