market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] storing snow peas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] storing snow peas
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:44:46 -0400

On Jun 11, 2009, at 6:10 PM, Allan Balliett wrote:

The joy of GOOGLE is that you can get almost any answer you want.

For snow peas, I find '3 days' to be pretty standard but with some
pretty reputable pages suggesting '3 weeks if in a paper bag in the
crisper'

i'd like to bridge from now until Sunday's market.

Any hope?

My guess is that, with proper storage, they may still look OK; but I would taste them for flavor right before market. At least some varieties of peas lose peak flavor pretty fast.

I suspect "3 weeks in a paper bag in the crisper" comes under the category of "well, they're not obviously rotten yet" rather than under the category of "these are still really good"; though many people have never had really fresh produce and don't know what it ought to be like.

Bear in mind that the customer may or may not eat them Sunday night; but may want to hold them a couple of days further.