market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] yellow wax bean

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] yellow wax bean
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 08:40:27 -0400

On Jun 8, 2009, at 8:40 PM, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:

I'm growing yellow wax beans for the first time at the request of one of our customers. First pick was today, and these have got to be the ugliest things I've seen. They look like a sun-burnt green bean. I guess I was expecting a golden yellow color instead of this pale washed out yellow. Is this normal? Have I done something wrong? Is variety the key to a prettier yellow? We are growing Carson. I've never eaten them, seen, etc... except in the seed catalogs, and these don't even come close to what I was expecting. Any words of wisdom out there?
Thanks,
Carla
Perkins, OK

I've never grown Carson, so don't know about that variety. I usually now grow Golden Rocky, but have grown others. I'm not sure what you're describing, but I expect them to come out looking fairly close to the pictures in, for instance, the Johnny's seed catalogue -- I note one of theirs is Carson. -- Yellow beans often start off green, and get good color just about when they're ready to pick -- are you picking them extra small? There are yellow filet varieties, and I expect those color sooner, but most are meant to pick at a standard green bean size. Of course if they're too big they'll be tough, like regular green beans. I tell anyone picking to take them as soon as they're all or mostly yellow. But I expect this does vary with variety.

The flavor's slightly different, though should still definitely taste like beans; I don't personally think the flavor's as good on yellows as on really good greens, but opinions vary, some of the customers like the yellows better.