market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Settle a family debate!!!!!!!!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Settle a family debate!!!!!!!!
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 07:50:10 -0400

Parallel task if possible - one person harvests and second person washes. I start my harvest days with the full crew in the field. As soon as totes start coming up to the packing shed, one or two people move to the shed and begin washing and placing the washed produce in the cooler.

Andy

Liz wrote:
hate having 2 farmers in the family....

I say we only harvest as we process (lettuce/spinach/greens), but especially
for lettuce.
Hubs says get all the harvesting done first thing in the morning, before the
heat of the sun sets in. I understand that aspect, but it means everything
will sit for 3-5 hours while I'm processing, and we can only have deep shade
to hold it, no ice/cooling.
Thoughts??????

Liz
Horseshoe Gardens