market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harlequin Bug Control?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harlequin Bug Control?
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 06:25:32 -0400

I should insert in this thread that I've found garlic sprays and cedar sprays ineffective in repelling harlequins, even when used before an infestation is apparent.

I've also found a highly recommended and expensive product, Mycotrol, to be apparently useless in Harlequin control . (It contains fungal spores which I was told would attack and destroy Harlequin eggs. I use a fogger for applying products like this and feel that I get extremely good coverage on all plant surfaces.) Worse, this product, which sells for $129 a qt, has stability problems which causes some containers of it to solidify, and therefor be unusable, through no fault of the user. Mine solidified in the middle of the Harlequin season. (Which, this year, appears that it will be ALL season.) I purchased mine from Arbico Organics, who, although they acknowledged manufacturing problems with mycotrol, would not stand behind it and pushed me off to the distributor. The unfortunate thing about this experience was that Arbico was very high handed in handling my complaint and when the distributor asked them to replace my product, they simply stopped responding to me email or to my calls. (Which reminds me, the nematods I purchased from them for flea beetle control had no observable effect on flea beetle populations, either.)

Right now, I'm seeing some Harlequins on Canadian thistle. Could it be that something very good is going to come of this entire Harlequin issue?

-Allan in WV