market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harlequin Bug Control?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harlequin Bug Control?
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:33:21 -0400

On May 11, 2009, at 11:51 PM, Marcy wrote:

Alan, Are biodynamic peppers the same as what I've read in Maria Thun's book
about the ash process? I was thinking of trying the egg carton process on
the aphids attacking my hoophouse lettuce crop. Not to mention the coyote
hide we got!

OK, now you have me curious.

1) What is the ash process?

2) What is the egg carton process?

3) And what does the coyote hide have to do with either aphids or lettuce??

(I think I do understand what biodynamic peppers are; but have no idea why they would work differently as a repellent than organic-but-nonbiodynamic or even conventional peppers; though if the repellent is being applied on a biodynamic farm it might well be considered necessary, or preferable, to use biodynamic peppers. -- Or maybe I really don't understand, and there is a specific biodynamic preparation being referred to, which includes peppers as an ingredient?)

I can say that on my place: hot peppers attract mice; at least, hot peppers in storage do. The mice don't seem to much bother the peppers in the field. And hot pepper/garlic spray does not significantly discourage flea beetles. Your particular mice, and beetles, may vary in their tastes.