market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market supplies: plastic bags, berry baskets, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz" <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market supplies: plastic bags, berry baskets, etc.
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 18:33:07 -0400

Sorry for the delay answering you Jay--we started our second day of market today and just got home.  The reasoning is that the bags may have contained conventional produce thus conventional chemicals which may transfer to the bag's contents.  This is a market rule for the organic growers.  If you're certified you must use new bags. I'm not certified, but still follow the market policy too.

More importantly, actually this is most important to me--I don't want to "go down" for a customer getting sick from something that got on my CLEAN produce in their DIRTY bag.

I do reuse bags given to me by the customer and offer to reuse bags where possible, but ALL of my customers who are organic decline the offer in favor of the new bag--I know, I thought that weird too, especially in light of most purchases being only transplants in the bag but that's their choice.  Many of our customers who purchase our transplants are making impulse purchases & didn't come to market prepared with their own bags.

Unless the customer comes prepared with alternatives, I bag with what I've got and hand it off. I've not read the other responses so maybe your question has already been answered.  I hope this doesn't start a controversy.

Liz
Horseshoe Gardens
who still must decide if getting up at 3am twice a week is worth it!