market-farming - [Market-farming] pricing fresh herbs for sale to chefs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dan <dan AT citygardenfarms.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] pricing fresh herbs for sale to chefs
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:10:15 -0700

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out correct pricing for herbs and other unusual items to be sold to a chef who puts on smallish dinner parties/events (20 - 30 people @ $40 to $50 per person). I've only done csa sales before and don't have much experience selling small quantities to a chef. I want to go in with a good idea of how to price and not seem like a complete novice. I don't want to undercut myself as this might be a very regular outlet for my herbs and other unusual items. I imagine she'll be buying no more than a pound or 2 of any one item at a time. Anyone have any experience out there?

I'm selling her specialty herbs and some unusual items. Here they are:

sorrel
bronze fennel
pea shoots
sunflower shoots