market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Arugula

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Arugula
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:43:33 -0500

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:11:58PM -0400, Allan Balliett wrote:

> >I grow arugula pretty much year 'round. Some times of year it does
> >poorly, some well. Right now, it's "well".
>
> So what is your soil temp now? your daytime high? your low?

Don't know. Right now, the air temps are 50s-60s at night and 70s-80s
during the day. I would say the arugula did well when the temps were
30s-40s at night and 50s-60s during the day.

> How are you fertilizing it?

I have the impression that arugula is not very sensitive to added
fertilizer. I get a lot of volunteer arugula scattered about, many
times it is pickable. For most crops, I build beds about 5' on
centers and about 6" high after top leveling. I place fertilizer,
generally by hand, in furrows prior to the bed building. Typically
16-16-16, 50 lb in 500'-1000' of row. When available, I may add
turkey litter or mushroom waste at around 3-5 cubic yards per acre.
Once the crop is well up, either with rain or drip tube, I furrow
irrigate between the beds.

I have generally quite sandy soil with underlying red clay that
surfaces in places. I haven't measured ph in many years. I guess I
should. When I did measure, most were in the 6.5-7.0 range, though a
low boggy poorly drained area was around 5.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 492 days 19 min minutes