market-farming - [Market-farming] alternative to fish

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joel Cahalan <joel AT chears.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] alternative to fish
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:43:27 -0400

I am interesting in hearing what others are using for fertilizing seedlings.  So far I have used a soil mix similar to Elliot Coleman's soilblock recipe and watered occasionally with sprouting rinse water.
Currently I am wondering if this will be adequate or whether I should do additional fertilization.  I don't really want to use fish since I am a vegetarian, but it seems this is what a lot of people recommend. I assume you want something with a bit more phosphorus than n and k to promote root growth.  Anyone making their own concoctions or using some other products?  I'd love to hear it...

Joel Cahalan
Wild Meadows Farm