market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Eggs at Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Eggs at Market
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 20:08:40 -0400

Here's the deal in Jefferson, Co, WV (important because each countly is different.

My wife 'complied' today.

2 hours at the health department.

She paid $100 'food premise plan' fee + will pay $68.50 license to sell eggs.

We CANNOT have our eggs in a cooler (also, if we could, we would not be allowed to have the ice on top of the eggs as 'condensation may occur and wet the cartons.') Our eggs must be kept cool by a 'mechanical cooler' which means an electric cooler. We got a lucky break and a fellow who bought a van with a fridge unit and has the stall next to us will let us keep our eggs in his cooler, which does qualify.

However, this means that he must idle his van for the entire 4 hour market! (How's that for 'health'?) (The van's motor powers the cooler and the health department has told him that if a product is to be sold at market that has to be cooled, the cooler must be 'on' for the entire market.)

I concur that small farmers are being squeezed with 'one size fits all ' healt laws and rules for the benefits of the corporate food interests. Many farmers I know are dropping out of the farmers markets rather than pay more than they can afford.

-Allan in WV