market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] HEADS UP! It will soon be illegal to grow yourownfood!!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT voyager.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] HEADS UP! It will soon be illegal to grow yourownfood!!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:14:50 -0400

Here is yet more reason not to worry about this bill

I pulled this from the OEFFA list serv:

Hey everyone-
There have been a lot of questions about this, so I thought I would respond to the whole forum.  H.R. 875 deals with the FDA.  FDA only regulates items that are involved in Interstate Commerce.  This is the authority that FDA is given in the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.  Anything that is grown, processed or sold within a state is subject to regulation by the state, not the FDA.  The FDA only regulates fruits, vegetables and other processed foods. It does not cover foods regulated by the USDA (beef, pork, poultry, lamb, catfish, eggs.)

I'm glad that there has been a lot of interest in these bills.  We're on the same side on this issue.  I used to work on a small farm in Ohio, and Food & Water Watch is a member of OEFFA.  Our mission is to fight the corporate control of the food system, which includes constantly battling the big guys like Monsanto, Cargill, Tyson, ADM, JBS, etc. etc., that have a stranglehold on the food system, and are able to push through regulations that benefit their bottom lines and hurt the small to mid-sized farmers.  This bill will only affect farmers that are selling across State lines.  This bill will have far more impact on reigning in large corporations that have gone unchecked and uninspected under the current FDA than on most small and organic farms.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Sarah Alexander

Lucy Goodman