market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] HEADS UP! It will soon be illegal to grow your ownfood!!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT voyager.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] HEADS UP! It will soon be illegal to grow your ownfood!!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:51:59 -0400

These bills (Hr 875 and SB 825) do sound scary especially if you have read anything by Lin Cohen-Coles (who lumps NAIS into this bill) This bill is for the interstate and international food stream which needs an over haul badly. Yes the bill is a bit too broad in it's wording so one could interpret that the US government is going after the USDA organic program, all small farmers and all farmers markets but according to the author of the bill this is meant for food handling and sales that is not of the local and direct nature (i.e. farmers market. CSA, etc..)

On my blog I have articles/opinions from both sides. I think the OCA and Food and Water watch are right when they say don't worry about this, this is a good bit of legis;ation but it does need tweeking.

If you want to get you undies in a bundle than do so about NAIS which is about ready to go to congress to be voted upon, if passed than it gets signed by the president. this really will impact small farms and anyone who has any kind of livestock including the not for eating kind.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH