market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] HEADS UP! It will soon be illegal to growyour ownfood!!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jaime Burroughs <jjburroughs AT msn.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] HEADS UP! It will soon be illegal to growyour ownfood!!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:02:05 -0700

Mark,
Touche.

Hadn't thought about the concept of washing and bagging as "processing" so I suppose there my ignorance speaking loudly. Okay, I can see that point of it now...and yes the wording was very vague and perhaps an attempt at government protecting the people...which (I can already see the steam coming out from some people)...after the peanut butter scare (aren't you tired of hearing the line "and we never thought we had to be worried about peanut butter...and look now") anyway, after the peanut butter debacle, I think some people who do not grow their own food, can't even fathom the concept really, would be scared. They don't know about how to analyze lables on food, find the country or origin, do the research on processors, etc...perhaps they are looking for the government to step in and "save" them (uh...from themselves?) from unknown entities. So I can see, working with that logic, why people would support the bill. But it call comes down to education, both needing on their part, and supplying on our part to the legislators...no?

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me...I just wasn't making the conncetion.

Things are good out here in California...made me chuckle to think "long time no see" as I'm here everyday, reading all the posts, assuming the information, digtesting and reguritating to students and family...etc. Just don't think I have much worthwhile to share I guess...LOL.

This past weekend was beautiful, about 68 degrees and the sun warming the earth. The almond orchard is just about out of bloom...(have you all seen an orchard in full bloom...breathtaking) so petals are dusting the orchard floor like a snow flutter...quite spectacular. Mesh that color with the bright spring green of the rows, and it's a palette of delight. The lettuce and spinach, cabbage, brussel sprouts and chard are in the ground and doing okay. Seeds are popping up everywhere...beans, peas, more spinach, carrots, etc.

Things are busy, but good.
This past year we put up "native bee" hives (which I had the woodshop kids at work make) around the orchard to help supplement the dying bee population and two of them are thriving quite well, so I was tickled to find that out....as native bees are more productive than honey bees. Fun.

Now I'm experimenting with the concept of niche meat marketing and starting up direct marketed beef and lamb for the fall...which is technical and difficult living in California, as we have more laws and regs than people (if you can believe that), ...which I'm sure is true for most states, but man, it can bog you down! :) Any thoughts on this topic?

Well there you go...there I am...sorry you asked, aren't you? LOL hahahaha :) :)

Jaime, busy at work, wishing I was in the garden...