market-farming - [Market-farming] Setting up a Propagation Mat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Setting up a Propagation Mat
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:19:02 -0500

I seem to recall reading that a propagation mat should be sandwiched between two foam insulation boards, covered with grounded metal window screening and then covered with a sheet of heavy (waterproof) plastic

I've got one of those large rubber-like mats that Leonard "used to" sell. I noticed earlier in this year that it seems to be putting out spotty heat, so I thought maybe I better put a sheet of insulation board on top of it spread out the heat evenly.

Does anyone else set their mat up like this? Do you use the grounded screen? After the mat attains heat (I do have an industrial thermostat), is there any reason why the insulation boards would be 'too much' for it?

I'd appreciate hearing your experiences and ideas.

Thanks

-Allan in WV