market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peppers in High Tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peppers in High Tunnels
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:09:19 -0500

I have a 27 x 70 Harnois greenhouse with roll up sides on concrete floor which is thire because it was built as my retail space. It has cross bracing at 8' high which is also crop support. The grow beds for tomatoes are 16" x 6" x 60'. There is a run of black plastic pipe on each row with a chunk of Chappin
tube supplying water every 16". All water in that greenhouse goes through an Dosmatic injector running 200ppm of Peters 20-20-20, all the time all year.........well until the injector blew up......as I will be doing much less there now I am looking for a cheap replecement. That is run by by a $29.00 irrigation controller from Home Depot which is as good or better than the $400.00 unit it replaced.

I ran out of tomato plants and instead of rooting more we stuck in the peppers during a spell too wet to be outside. King of the North and North Star, they were 3' high. The way those guys set fruit between branches and such I sure would not want many cage wires or strings in there in the way.

It seems every market but mine went nuts over the yellow cherries, so I have stayed with sweet million. When they hit the supports at 8' I quit pruning and let them run or drop down, some make it back to the floor by shut down in Oct.

MAsteveINE