market-farming - [Market-farming] Fedco

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pam Twin Oaks" <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fedco
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:46:02 -0500

We've bought from Fedco for years (as well as Johnny's and Southern
Exposure). We have had very little trouble. Yes, this year we got the
Wakamine cabbage that grew up into Brussels sprouts, as did Steve in
Maine. Fedco put it right. We get large orders, with a wide variety of
seeds. We've had very few problems, and much we like. We really like
the big bulk discounts, the environmentally-friendly newsprint
catalog, the humorous variety descriptions, the fact we are supporting
a co-operative, the info on sources of the seeds (we really don't want
to buy from Monsanto!), and the high level of experience, wisdom and
integrity. Fedco doesn't carry all the varieties for the more southern
crops we need (they are in Maine). I'm not claiming they are always
the best for everything, but we have found them very good indeed.

If I understand right, the myth of "someone" getting half their order
wrong has now been exploded, yes?

Pam, Twin Oaks, Louisa VA