market-farming - [Market-farming] Seed company Contact info

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Seed company Contact info
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:49:17 -0500

I did find a phone number for E&R,  They may be Amish but I know a lot of Amish that have telephones, many have cell phones electricity etc, they just can't use them in the house.  I have a Freind that owns a computer controled Freezer trailer out of which he sells ice to the Amish in the area, he hires a Mennonite man to haul it back and forth to the Ice company.  Each congregation is different and the Bishop determines what is acceptable, it varies widely and they don't believe in a central authority.  In Cannelburg Indiana there are groups wearing lavender and Fuchsia shirts, still in the style of the Amish, quite a sight LOL.  It's pretty fun going to the Amish auction they have there in the spring and fall, lots of Horse equipment and antiques.  I've even gotten invited to dinner by some of the Amish when I went.   Of course I often gave them a ride home and helped them get equipment home with my trailer which helped.

Anyway I found a few sites listing seed companies, this one lists Companies taking the "Safe Seed Pledge"

Here is a useful one that gives what seems to be accurate ratings from some of the companies I know well (except I don't know anything about E&R).  They didn't list Jordans so I couldn't add that.

E&R SEEDS
1356 E. 200 S
Monroe, IN 46772
260-692-6827
Vegetable and flower seeds, probably some supplies.
Quality: unknown
Price: unknown
Service: unknown
Variety: unknown

FEDCO SEEDS
P.O. Box 520
Waterville ME 04903
207-873-7333, Fax 207-872-8317
Veg, herb and flower seeds, selected for suitability to northeastern U.S. climate. Cat $2. Will ship seeds to Canada. There are also bulb & tree catalogs.
Quality: Excellent
Price: $
Service: Good
Variety: Good

JOHNNY'S SELECTED SEEDS
955 Benton Ave
Winslow, ME 04901
207-437-4301 fax 800-437-4290
Highly recommended, especially for short-season crops. Veg, herb, flower and specialty seed. Free catalog with detailed cultural info. Will ship seeds to Canada.
Quality: Excellent
Price: $ - $$
Service: Excellent
Variety: Excellent

SEED SAVERS EXCHANGE
Rt 3 Box 239
Decorah, Iowa 52101
319-382-5990
A membership group dedicated to saving antique and heirloom varieties. Membership fees $15-$25. Free brochure. In 1996 they came out with a catalog available to all.
Quality: unknown
Price: $$$
Service: unknown
Variety: Excellent

TERRITORIAL SEED COMPANY
P.O. Box 158
Cottage Grove, OR 97424
800-626-0866, Fax 888-657-3131
Veg, herb & flower seeds adapted to maritime Northwest. Supplies, books, tools, insecticides. Several compliments on the short turnaround time for orders. Order online or free print catalog available.
Quality: Excellent
Price: $$
Service: Excellent
Variety: Excellent

Become a Graphic Designer and earn up to $150/ hour. Click here.