market-farming - [Market-farming] Pepper seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pam Twin Oaks" <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pepper seed
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:36:18 -0500

Alison Weidiger asked:
<And, I've heard, although not experienced, that since a lot of the
"heat" of a hot pepper is in
the seed membranes, you can sometimes get some "heat" in a sweet
pepper if it is crossed with hot.
Doesn't change the fruit, only, again, the seed. Has anyone actually
experienced this? Or is it
just a "market farming legend"? Ours are always side by side and we
haven't seen it. >

LucyOowsley said:
<We had a single hot yellow marconi pepper plant last year grown from
seed we saved (out of 25 or so plants). I assume the year before we
had at least one marconi plant too close to the Jalapenos, Hot
Hungarian wax or Cayennes and we got a cross.>

Note that the hot plant was grown from saved seed.

For years I believed the "market farming legend" that hot peppers
would "infect" nearby sweet peppers with heat if grown too close. This
didn't make biological sense to me. I realise the seeds will be
crossed, but the flesh of the peppers? I think that has the DNA of the
planted seed. Anyway, it was getting inconvenient to find a spot to
grow hot peppers that was distant from the sweet peppers, so last year
we grew 25' of jalapeno and habanero at the end of one of two rows of
sweet peppers. Nothing awful happened! No spicy sweet peppers. So
we're doing it again this year. For several years we had grown hot
peppers in the same hoophouse as sweet peppers, with not more than 20'
between them, and that works.

I'm a person very sensitive to hot peppers, I just can't eat much of
them, so you can trust my word on this.

Pam, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA