market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cucumbers
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:51:07 -0600

Greetings,
I am in hot, humid Texas, about 125 miles from the Gulf and we have no problems with using the remesh. As the plants grow in, my remesh is protected from the sun by the leaves of the vines and we have no problems at all. Temperatures around 100 are our summer norm. We do encourage the plants to grow through and all over the mesh, with fairly dense plantings. I have much better yields with the remesh as a trellis than I have ever had on the ground.
Bright Blessings,
Kim

Kate Halstead wrote:
I tried cukes with circles of remesh and even though we're in an area where
75-80 is a rare heat-wave, it appeared that when the tendrils went to grab
the metal, they got too hot and seemed burnt. Can't imagine how it would
work for folks in places that actually experience summer. Only way I could
get it to work (sorta) was by weaving the entire plant through the mesh
squares. Yields were way reduced and the plants just survived.

I've gone back to a heavy mulch of alfalfa. Keeps the cukes clean and
disease is usually not an issue. Picking is still a 'discovery expedition'.

Kate
Puget Sound