market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peat as animal bedding.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peat as animal bedding.
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 19:07:16 -0500

It is far more absorbent than wood shavings, and I think figured out per
total usage more economical. Also (yes there are other issues to this, but)
you don't have to wait for the wood shavings to breakdown to use it on
plants. It can be spread and turned in. The downside is that everything in
the brooder/hen house is covered in a layer of dark dust. The water has a
layer of dark dust. The water has peat in it. Sometimes the eggs (wood
shavings in the nest boxes) have a layer of dark dust - it brushes off
easily. People spreading it will be breathing it. Actually, you don't need
to spread it - spreading it is chicken entertainment.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com