market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why do it II

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Krystle <learning AT selfmadefarmer.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why do it II
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:03:48 -0700

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net> wrote:

> Unless you are getting premium pricing, 100 shares isn't really large
> enough.  Now that I am at ~150 shares, it is looking like 250-300 is
> really the minimum size for reasonable profitablility.

Andy

Good to know, thanks. My figure was based on farms in which CSA is only part of the income stream, but it makes sense that if CSA is the main selling point, you'd need more than 100 shares. I wonder what others who are running large CSAs think about the relationship between size and profitability.

Krystle
Salem, OR
http://www.selfmadefarmer.com