market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Timesheets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JOHN A HENDRICKSON <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Timesheets
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:01:35 -0500

Andy,

I am involved in a project at the University of Wisconsin that is developing
a computer tool to help growers get a better handle on costs of production,
including labor costs. Based on input from growers, we have developed a very
simple form that some growers are going to trial this season. It is nothing
fancy or sophisticated but I would be happy to send you a copy off-list. I
think the real trick is not the form itself but the discipline to use it
consistently through the whole season. I know that is the case for me! My
recommendation is to have a crew leader or manager fill it out (or do it
yourself) rather than have each individual person do it. This would then
involve making note of the number of people doing a particular task and the
number of hours.

Another factor that would help ensure this type of reporting gets done is to
make this more detailed timesheet a requirement for reporting hours for
payroll purposes.

-John