market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market scales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market scales
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:47:53 -0400

On Apr 27, 2008, at 7:26 PM, TxBeeFarmer wrote:

To my knowledge, there are no certifiable mechanical scales.

I have two old mechanical scales, both bought used, both certifiable. (I was lucky, though; I didn't know certifiable from non-certifiable when I bought them. If there are old certification stickers on the scale, that's a useful clue. If not, be cautious; but you can save a lot of money buying used.)

You must pay to have them certified each year.

That may depend on the area. Here, the county Weights and Measures does it for free. It does need to be done yearly.