market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market scales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market scales
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 18:26:22 -0500

Just a few thought about scales for you to consider.

If you're using them for trade, like selling at the farmer's market, the scale must be a class three. That means they must be certifiable. To my knowledge, there are no certifiable mechanical scales. You must pay to have them certified each year. You must also register them with the USDA Weight and Measures Dept. in your area.

However, if you sell by the bunch, bushel, each, quart, pint, etc..., you don't need to weigh anything. No scales, no annual certifications, no registration. Life is much simpler. Selling is much quicker.

That's my two cents.

TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
West Texas Zone 7b

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>