market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mulch layers and Bed Shapers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jason Jones" <JJones AT thehomestead.org>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mulch layers and Bed Shapers?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 15:48:45 -0600

We have the rainflo raised bed mulch layer. Works very well, although it
took me using it for a season to figure out exactly how to make it work well.
No problems with ours. The more well prepared your soil, the better it
works.
I think that it would be great to have a bed shaper in addition to the
mulcher. The mulcher is easy to use, but it is a bit much to hook it up just
to make a raised bed. I knew of a person in North Carolina that used a
tobacco bedder to make raised beds. It worked great, but there aren't many
of these in the midwest. Anyone have suggestions for alternatives to the
Yoemans plow for bed shaping.

Jason Jones
Farm Manager
The Homestead