market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mulch layers and Bed Shapers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: lists AT rhomestead.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mulch layers and Bed Shapers?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 19:13:50 -0600

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 07:14:25PM -0500, Beth Spaugh wrote:
> I keep wondering how I could adapt the Farmall Cub or Allis G to throw up a
> bed, and I would lay the little plastic we use by hand. We do have a
> moldboard plow for the Cub, and we can make a narrow bed, but I want beds on
> 4 foot centers. Seems like a couple of inward facing plows mounted on a
> toolbar so they were not in the center might work. Or just furrowers? We
> have a fairly heavy loam, which takes more umphh to raise a bed than it
> would on a sand.

My bed builder needs a 3-point on a 25+ hp tractor:
http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/images/images24/index.html

I'm in the process of setting up one of those to try to cut up trash in
my badly over-grown asparagus field. So that it mostly cuts rather
than throwing soil to the center.

Here in central Texas, asparagus is starting to come up, some pears are
blooming, some peaches have set fruit.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 80 days 14 hours 06 minutes