market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mulch layers and Bed Shapers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mulch layers and Bed Shapers?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 15:13:53 -0500

Adam;

I bought a flat-bed mulch layer from Rain-flo around 8 years ago. They are out of PA. It is the plain jane model, not the one they have which compensates for drift that keeps the rows straight (Row-trak). Like it a lot. It is well-built and one 'heavy' piece of equipment. Makes a nice, flat, smooth bed. I've looked at other grower's layers and there is nothing to them. We usually lay a bit less than an acre (not much). The main reason I did break down and buy one is that I can lay mulch in any wind condition. Get out there and get it done in notime. If the wind and time were not a consideration, my wife and I had been laying it a lot cheaper. Hated covering the edges by hand anyway.

On the Rain-flo, there is a tension spring for the rollers that carry the plastic roll. Full roll, loosen it up, not much on the roll, tighten it up.

They do offer a raised-bed mulch layer. Some times they do have used/trade-ins. Their service (and products) have always pleased me.

If you do decide to buy one, make sure and order whatever else you can as the shipping costs for the additional items is next to nothing.

Tom
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market

----- Original Message ----- From: a h