market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jaime, Almonds and pasteurization?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <jjburroughs AT msn.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jaime, Almonds and pasteurization?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:35:35 -0800

Hi Adam,

It hasn't specifically affected us, because our crop has yet to start producing (we should be producing this harvest though! YAY!) My inlaws, however, namely my SIL produces almonds and has been working on transitioning a section of those almonds to organic. I wasn't sure of the specifics on the topic, either, so have spent the last 45 minutes or so trying to verify some information via the internet for you. In the case of fairness, I'll try to be objective in this quip, and leave out my personal opinions:

 The almond pasteurization law took effect in September of 2007, due to two cases of salmonella (in 2001 and 2004) being traced back to raw almonds produced in California. The Almond Board of California thereby trying to alieveate public concern put together mandates, which is being backed by the USDA, to pasteurize raw almonds that are being sold to American, Canadian and Mexican markets. Almonds being exported to other countries are not being held to the same pasteurization standards. I read on one website that there is a loop hole in the system and buying under 100lbs intended for "personal consumption" can avoid the pasteruization concept. (I have yet to find this written anywhere else, so doubt the entire validty.) The proposed manadate was to protect almond consumers from getting sick (see ABC website and Blue Diamond Growers website for direct quotes): Clearly, a noble cause.

It seems much of the debate stems (other than the blatant dislike of the concept in general) from the fact that these pasteurized almonds would still be labeled "raw" to the unknowing public. This appears unfair and ridiculous, considering the large scale "raw-foods" movement that is sweeping through california and other parts of the nation.  Perhaps ABC didn't use enough public input on this topic? There are several letters and petitions circling the web in which you can sign, use to send to your personal legislator, or to read up on.

I couldn't find any real solid information dated with in the last two months. I'll be sure to keep looking and keep tabs on the topic and post more information for you, once I hear something more substantial and worthwhile to read.

I hope this clarifies the controversy without appearing slanted or bias. I am simply trying to present the case, et al.

Jaime

: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:56:28 -0500