market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mulch layers and Bed Shapers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mulch layers and Bed Shapers?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 19:14:25 -0500

Adam, have you gone and looked at Mike and Laurie's that they got a couple of year's ago? The Baker Farm also has one. We have a borrowed mulch layer that doesn't raise a bed, but you are welcome to come look after the snow melts.

I keep wondering how I could adapt the Farmall Cub or Allis G to throw up a bed, and I would lay the little plastic we use by hand. We do have a moldboard plow for the Cub, and we can make a narrow bed, but I want beds on 4 foot centers. Seems like a couple of inward facing plows mounted on a toolbar so they were not in the center might work. Or just furrowers? We have a fairly heavy loam, which takes more umphh to raise a bed than it would on a sand.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used."  - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Francis Moore Lappe