market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Gourds -- direct sowing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Gourds -- direct sowing
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:47:45 +0000

An update on the bushel gourds: it doesn't seem to be a cold soil thing, as all the melons and squash I've direct seeded so far have had no problem germinating. (But I've read now that gourds DO like warmer temperatures than squash, so I may throw some reemay over a row as a comparison.)

I seeded hubbard squash and gourds the same day; the hubbard squash started coming up on day 5, while the gourds started (slowly) coming up on day 7. As of day 11, maybe 40% of the gourds are up.

Thanks all for advice! I'll definitely try scarring the seed next year

Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community Farm
Mineral, VA