market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 38, Issue 26

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andrea <elsaella AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 38, Issue 26
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 07:42:15 -0800 (PST)

Allan

Well I know what you want me to say.....But! There is no advantage to planting out too early,since the soil is still cold. Of course the wall-o-water will protect the plants from frost damage, and they will probably survive ok. But the cold they encounter will delay growth and fruitification for sure.
I am reading a lot of Governement-payed for research papers for the classes I teach,
but I have also encountered this on my own.
Good luck
Andrea

So all the early planting out with wall-o-water and what not is self-defeating?
Last year our tomatoes suffered through July due to cold May and early June.

-Allan

>Depending on what you are growing in the greenhouse at the moment,
>temperatures should however not drop below 55 F for tomatoes, or 61
>F for cucurbitaceas, since if the plants drop below that
>temperature, the growth of the plant will stop, you can encounter
>10-15 days of delay in the season later on, due to this,
>fruitification can also be affected if the plant is about to flower(
>which this time of year is not to worry about, dependending of your
>area).

Yahoo! Mail