market-farming - [Market-farming] starting tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <Allan AT freshandlocalcsa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] starting tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 22:26:34 -0500

No, Andrea, I think you said what I wanted to hear: the all too common "Everything you know is wrong!"

Now would you mind finishing your thoughts? When should I wait for, according to you studies? What soil temp? What night time temps? It sounds like maybe I should push my starting date back by a month or so. Thanks for answering.

Allan

Well I know what you want me to say.....But! There is no advantage to planting out too early,since the soil is still cold. Of course the wall-o-water will protect the plants from frost damage, and they will probably survive ok. But the cold they encounter will delay growth and fruitification for sure.
I am reading a lot of Governement-payed for research papers for the classes I teach,
but I have also encountered this on my own.
Good luck
Andrea

So all the early planting out with wall-o-water and what not is self-defeating?
Last year our tomatoes suffered through July due to cold May and early June.

-Allan

Depending on what you are growing in the greenhouse at the moment,
temperatures should however not drop below 55 F for tomatoes, or 61
F for cucurbitaceas, since if the plants drop below that
temperature, the growth of the plant will stop, you can encounter
10-15 days of delay in the season later on, due to this,
fruitification can also be affected if the plant is about to flower(
which this time of year is not to worry about, dependending of your
area).

Yahoo! Mail
Bring photos to life! <http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39174/*http://photomail.mail.yahoo.com>New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.