market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] starting tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <Allan AT freshandlocalcsa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] starting tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:25:58 -0500

I've never grown Glacier, but I am surprised by the number of early varieties that don't do well for us. Oregon Spring is one. Plants grow, but little fruit.

I guess I'm really looking for advice on putting out MAIN CROP heirlooom tomatoes.

thanks -Allan

> Variety: Glacier. I like this variety; very very early,
good taste. The tomatoes are about the size of golf balls,
and are red. It's supposed to be able to set fruit in fairly
cool weather and my experience would bear this out.

I like Glacier too. I made the mistake of planting too many of them.
They're prolific. As soon as larger tomatoes are ripe my customers ignore
Glacier.

Robin Follette
Thyme For Ewe Farm www.thymeforewe.com