market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planting potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planting potatoes
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:44:25 EST

In a message dated 1/10/06 6:32:34 AM Central Standard Time, goodows AT infinet.com writes:
I assume if plastic mulch is used there is no hilling done.
We have a weed called red pig weed (giant Waterhemp) that can grow 9 feet tall and has a root system that makes it impossible to pull and can grow a foot a day at the right time of the year.  Never found anything to kill it or control it, but plastic controls it.

Don't see a purpose for hilling potatoes, they are very easy to dig and pick up when they are not buried to China.  Some times we use big bales of hay or straw and just lay out on ground and unroll a big bale over the ground, run a roller over them and wet down.  You want to makes sure that you pile the straw about 18" deep.  The potatoes will grow up through the straw and picking is really easy, they are basically on top of the ground. To uncover I use an old hay rake and rake off the straw.

Lucy keep it simple, we all do enough work without making ourselves more work.