market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Economics- sustainable ag?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <txbeefarmer AT hotpop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Economics- sustainable ag?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:06:31 -0600

Competing against the big guys and importers is a waste of time, IMHO. I strive to produce what's in demand, but not commonly available (value added products), such as; honey, hive products, blackberry products, certain vegetables, and grass-fed beef. Future plans include "value added" products favored by local ethnic and social groups.

Having said this, I've also noticed some social problems that absolutely amaze me, and could be at the very root of our problems. Young people don't know what to do with what we produce! Hard to believe, but true.

At our market, a farmer, who had produced some really nice corn, proudly pulled back the shuck for one of his customers. She shouted, "eeeewwww, I couldn't eat that...., it has hair in it!"

The same farmer was selling eggs. Along came a lady asking where the eggs were from. The farmer proudly stated they're from chickens raised on his local farm. The lady became obviously disgusted and stated, she could NEVER eat "chicken eggs". The farmer smiled and asked, were do you think eggs come from? WELL..., MY eggs come from Wal-Mart, she explained.

And, I can't tell you how many times I've been asked how to cook black-eyed peas, okra, and squash.

Food for thought.

TxBeeFarmer
Mark (West Texas - Zone 7b)