market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Economics- sustainable ag?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: <ecook516 AT earthlink.net>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Economics- sustainable ag?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:38:11 -0500

On Behalf Of emily cook
> In fact, I have looked high and
> low in the entire sustainable ag world trying to find examples of
people
> really making it on their own production, without any kind of crutch
like
> previous off farm income they're willing to sink in the operation,
buying
> and reselling to supplement production etc.

Show me a restaurateur that established themselves without a nest egg,
or any small business that the banks will not underwrite for that
matter. The point is whether the investment can be recouped not where it
came from in the first place.
If there is a crutch or weak link that concerns me it is the increasing
dependency on Apprentice and illegal labor. A.S.A., or Apprentice
Supported Agriculture as I call it. I know this is controversial and not
talked about much. If the proposed law concerning verification of SS#'s
by employers goes through the whole of Agriculture will go through a
major shift; probably the whole economy. I think it is not all that
likely because who will wash the good Senators martini glasses + they
know that this large illegal work force pays into SS but will never
collect. On the other hand aren't they trying to do in SS anyway, who
knows? I remember the last amnesty when the illegal work force left
Agriculture, I was able to by a lot of inexpensive machinery from all
the labor intensive farms that went under because they lost their
harvest crews over night.
Keep looking.
David
Mahaiwe Harvst C.S.A.