market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Economics- sustainable ag?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <ecook516 AT earthlink.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Economics- sustainable ag?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:39:10 -0500

From: "emily cook" <ecook516 AT earthlink.net>

> Andy, I'm glad you brought up the subject of economics, I feel it's
> talked about far too little. I tend to agree that generating profit is
> problem faced by most market gardeners. In fact, I have looked high and
> low in the entire sustainable ag world trying to find examples of people
> really making it on their own production, without any kind of crutch
like
> previous off farm income they're willing to sink in the operation,
buying
> and reselling to supplement production etc.

Even once the farm is up and running, are there examples of people making
a living farming without a spouse with an outside job, or a retirement
income? I have a small farm with a market garden and direct meat/egg sales
from a farm stand. Next year I'll also be selling vegetables at a Farmer's
Market. I am the lone farmer on this farm (just me and two kids), and I
can't even, in theory (never mind crop failures and August frosts!), make
enough income to farm for a living. My most ambitious plans would only
provide for about half the income I need. I have all the equipment, etc.
that I need, and my operating expenses (and living expenses) are low, but
my income is a LOT lower. Elliot Coleman's $6/hour seems about right, and
I only have that income for 20 weeks/year. This is a VERY rural area, so
it's hard to get big city prices for food...I can barely get supermarket
prices. It also has long hard winters, so it's hard to get people to come
out past the end of October until May or June, even if I have something to
sell.

I can't even support myself, so hiring labor or getting a farming partner
would further drain money away from the farm. I don't want to have to get
a 'real job'...I love farming and think producing healthy, local food is
an important job. I'm really scrambling to make this work. I'd love to
hear ideas!

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm
Tioga Co. PA