market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Economics- sustainable ag?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Old Timin'" <oldtimin AT williams-net.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Economics- sustainable ag?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:13:29 -0500

Andy:I have read that the 2006 cost of transportation and chemical fertilizers
will be going up 100% to 400% from the 2005 cost. What effect will this have
on market farmers?

Oldtimin:Those of us using organic methods and selling locally will be greatly benefitted by this. Our products will not only still be better and fresher, but also priced more competitively with the conventional growers.While the other guys prices will have to go up considerably to pay for fertilizer, (both the purchase and transport) and transportation,ours will only go up to cover the cost of gas to the market which if done locally will be minimal.