market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] carrot germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JOHN A HENDRICKSON <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: creationsoap AT boone.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] carrot germination
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:03:28 -0500

This is likely not applicable or efficient at larger
scales but I've had success getting carrot seed to
germinate in the summer by placing boards over my
(admitedly short) rows. You have to be very careful
to check regularly to see when the seeds begin to
pop so that you can remove the boards in a timely
fashion. The boards keep the soil cooler and moist.
I suppose you could even install drip lines and
cover it with boards. I've just watered in the seed
and then placed the boards on top. It may sound
rather intensive to add and remove the boards but
the savings in seed costs and the replanting labor
and other costs might make it worthwhile (especially
if the boards were free or very cheap) if you're not
dealing with a large planting.

-John (zone 5 in WI)