market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] carrot germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marcy" <marcy AT aculink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] carrot germination
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:42:19 -0600

I've NEVER had much success with carrots till this year. I put in T-Tape on
the entire garden and I'm guessing I had 120% germination on my carrots. As
Ken Bezilla mentioned in an earlier post, I ran the drip every day - mid-day
for an hour or so to keep the soil moist until they germinated (along with
thousands of elm seedlings in among all the carrots and everything else).
It sure sold me on the tape/drip!!!
I'm guessing the shady area stayed more moist and that's why you had better
germination there. IMHO you don't need to mess with shade as long as you can
keep it moist each day.
Marcy
SE Colorado zone 5