market-farming - [Market-farming] Carrot Germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pat Rupiper" <arupiper AT bright.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Carrot Germination
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 05:43:54 -0400

To germinate those fine seeds during the drought and heat that most of us in zone 5/6 suffered, I dampen the soil, make a small trench (about 1 in deep), plant the seeds on the trench and cover with loose compost to the correct depth. Then I put wet burlap on the seed bed (I soak it in a bucket). I put suspend shade cloth over the top. The burlap holds the moisture better and gives me a visual clue to water (usually in the 90's I water morning and late afternoon.). In 3 to 5 days the carrots, lettuce, spinach, etc. have sprouted and I can take off the burlap. I plant in manageable 3 x 5 foot sections, so far this has worked wonders. I have been doing it for several years. Good luck. Try planting the carrots again this way if you have the seed, just be ready to put under cover cloth by October. Pat Rupiper zone 6 Southern Ohio