market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomatillos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Juanita Garcia" <nitag AT ev1.net>
  • To: "Market Farming Newsletter" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomatillos
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:40:15 -0500

Thanks for the reply. Per your questions and comments:

We have extremely alkaline soil and water - the chicken litter and bat
guano bring us down to almost a sweet soil, but tomatillos are supposed
to grow like weeds around here.

I have treated them like tomatoes (feeding heavily, foliar watering,
etc), but that doesn't seem to make much difference.

We grow in the same beds as we have used for tomatoes; huge yield of
tomatoes, same lousy results on the tomatillos.

Can it be that I'm treating them too well? They are related to weeds
after all, so maybe I need to be a little more "tough love" with them??

Juanita Garcia