market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomatillos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomatillos
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 08:16:12 -0400

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:29:30 -0400, you wrote:

>Pat; the ones you gave me look beautiful and have pretty husks, but, like
>Juanita, there
>is nothing inside the husks except little green 'buttons'...they aren't
>filling out. Is it too early? Are yours filled out? I've treated them
>exactly like my tomatoes, and , as I said, the plants look good. I've
>never grown them before, so I don't know what to expect.

This is strange. Mine are filled out: the tomatilloes are
- shoot, I don't know how to describe it - about the same
size as the ones I see for sale in the supermarket. They
have just about become that size though: so maybe it's
early yet. I don't know. (If they don't mature by now,
they're hardly going to be worth growing in our location.)

You don't pick them just because they are there and have
husks: you wait until they are obviously either large
enough or fall off the plant. Mostly we wait until they
fall off the plant. Are you doing this?

If so, the only things I can think of: I grew mine in a
container. I didn't fertilize it at all. NONE. It is,
however, growing in mushroom compost, which has some
fertility. So it's had a small supply of nutrients, but not
much really.

Maybe the lack of much fertilizer is the difference: I
suspect it is.

However, I've also read that they grow better in containers
and this has been true in my (very, very limited)
experience: I have many more tomatillos from this plant
than I've had in the past from plants that grew in the
ground.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania