market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] baby lettuce varieties for winter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] baby lettuce varieties for winter
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:59:08 -0500

WE are in zone 6b, so some things will be different. We direct seed mesclun
directly all winter, but in our double poly tunnels, soil temperatures stay
close to 50 degrees. Mesclun regrowth in mid-Dec through Jan takes about 3
weeks - light dependent, not temperature. We transplant all lettuces that
are harvested as "heads" (started in cells in a very cool, but heated,
greenhouse).

We find that red is directly relational to light amounts. We have seen red
lettuces go totally green in an extended "gray" period, and regain their red
coloration in just a day or two when the sun returns. That said, our best
red for mesclun is dark red lolla rossa. However, because it is so red, it
grows very slowly, and we plant it separately from the rest of the mesclun
lettuces. Our best red "head", (grand rapids) is Merlot (or Galactica). It
stays very red, and is also small, but our customers love it.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm (starting our 11th season in high tunnels)

I'm afraid I don't have any answers, but I have questions! Do you have
lights in the hoophouses? Will you be seeding directly or starting the
seeds somewhere else and transplanting? I've had trouble starting even
lettuce when the soil is cold.

I really like to see some reds in a lettuce mix. I've been growing a red
and green leaf lettuce mix from Johnny's and I love it. BUT, when I plant
it in the greenhouse, the red doesn't turn red! Is it the UV filter in the
plastic? Does anyone know?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm
Tioga County, PA