market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] getting a new farm insured

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] getting a new farm insured
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:50:15 -0400

In my case i have a mortgage company that will not cut a check so I can buy the farm without insurance so I do have a real need. that said to get the business end of it covered is only $21 a year as long as I am not certified organic or whole sale to restaurants and grocery stores/natural food stores which I no longer do because there just isn't enough money in it for me around here.

That said, the past 12 years I rented the land we farmed I never carried any kind of insurance for the farm biz and never had a problem so my husband and I did decide not to go crazy and get all the farm/marketing equipment covered as that would have cost more. But we did decide to get the $21 rider to cover us as we now have a farm store and will be doing a lot of on farm business and feel the need to cover ourselves in case someone decides to get hurt on the property and sue us and this also covers us at farmers' markets within 100 miles and since most FM's now require the vendors to have insurance this is good.

But I agree with you Willie insurance is a big scam but unfortunately required in far too many applications. This is what comes from a society that lives in fear

Lucy