market-farming - [Market-farming] Growing tomatillos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Juanita Garcia" <nitag AT ev1.net>
  • To: "Market Farming Newsletter" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Growing tomatillos
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:45:30 -0500

Good morning all!

Does anyone have any tips on growing tomatillos? We have tried 4 years
in row to grow them successfully, with poor results. We get a huge plant
that has many fruits, but the only thing that gets big is the paper-y
husk. The fruit stays small and rock hard. It never turns soft, but it
does finally turn yellow (fully mature) and falls off. What are we doing
wrong?

We live just north of Austin TX (zone 8), and grow in raised beds with
irrigation. We grow "sustainable", using chicken litter for mulch, and
bat guano for fertilizer as well.

Juanita Garcia
Garcia Eggs & Herbs